Benign prostatic hyperplasia or benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) is a common condition in men. It seldom causes problems in the early years of life but more than 50% of those above fifty and nearly 90% of those in their seventies and eighties have an enlarged prostate.
The prostate gland lies between the bowel and the bladder. The enlargement causes strangulation of the urethra through which the urine passes on to the penis. The most significant symptoms of BPH are in the form of urinary problems like:
* Frequency of urination.
* Insufficient quantity of urine despite the feeling of pressure building up.
* Inability to control.
If ignored in its initial stages you may be compelled to take prostate medicine for a long time. If untreated the accumulated urine can affect kidney functioning. Alternately you can adopt the natural way by using herbs for curtailing prostate enlargement .
Natural foods and herbs that contain lycopene, selenium and other potent antioxidants are very effective if they are made a part of your lifestyle. Many home cures for BPH have a very positive affect and have been reported to inhibit prostate enlargement.
* Flaxseed oil is often recommended for maintaining prostate health. A daily intake of sufficient quantities of flaxseed oil and quark, fresh un-ripened cheese made from pasteurized milk can be instrumental in a significant drop in your PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen), which is a protein manufactured only by the prostate gland and elevated level in the blood serum are associated with BPH.
* Make corn husk tea by boiling corn husks for 30 minutes. Corn tea made from corn silk is equally effective. Drink as much as you can after straining and sweetening.
* Make a drink of 2/3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a little bit of saw palmetto honey diluted in a small quantity of water. Start with three times a day for three weeks and later gradually taper the dose to 3 to 4 times a week.
* Two to three tablespoons of raw, green shelled pumpkin seeds will decrease the time between urination and also reduce your nocturnal visits to the bathroom drastically.
* Stew made from ordinary green cabbage can ease painful urination and dribbling.
* Squeeze your buttocks as many times as you can.
* Frequent ejaculation can expel any accumulated toxins in the prostatic fluids.
* The oriental habit of urinating in a sitting position helps in emptying the bladder fully. This helps in removing all the toxins and therefore, whenever possible, sit down and urinate.
* Fenugreek and pygeum bark powder can ease symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate to a great extent.
Prostate enlargement can bring in its wake some of the most harrowing symptoms that can be embarrassing at times. Most men will try anything and everything to get relief. Home remedies cost very little, are safe and are easy to take.
There seems to be no harm in trying them and you may actually derive some benefit from them. If they do not bring comfort to you, you can always stop and revert to your chosen prostate medicine.